Welcome to the latest installment of our Blazy 101 series! If you’re an experienced stoner, this probably isn’t for you – these posts are meant to be informative for new or less experienced smokers and help you understand the use of different smoking accessories.
What Is A Grinder?
What is a grinder? You may have seen one of our stainless-steel grinders at your local smoke shop, whether you’re in the US, Canada, Mexico, or the UK. The name may seem self explanatory, but there’s actually a bit of nuance to the world of grinders. Grinders are the perfect smoking accessory to make your next smoke sesh smooth and enjoyable.
Grinders help you grind your flower (plant material) down to a finer, even consistency. They’re typically made of either metal, plastic, or wood – metal is preferred by most customers because of its strength and durability. Grinders are usually palm sized and cylindrical, with anywhere from two to four separate interlocking pieces. When you remove the top piece, it will reveal the upper chamber, which holds “teeth” designed to grind up and pulverize your flower.
Types Of Grinders
While a two piece grinder is the most basic version you can find, a four-piece grinder is usually considered to be the industry standard, and is favored by most smokers. These four-piece grinders consist of three separate chambers: the upper chamber (the one with the teeth/pegs) where you load your flower, the middle chamber where the ground plant material drops into, and the pollen chamber (also known as a kief catcher). This chamber is where the ultra-fine kief/pollen from your herb drops into through a fine mesh screen (this is the super-potent trichomes from the plant). Oftentimes, grinders will come with a small plastic scraper in this chamber. Over time, kief will collect here. You can then scrape it up and load it onto whatever you’re smoking to pack an extra punch!
How to Use a Grinder
- Unscrew the top lid of the grinder and evenly distribute your flower in between the teeth of the grinding chamber, using your fingers to gently break up bigger buds if necessary.
- Replace the lid of the grinder and rotate it either clockwise or counterclockwise about 5-10 times, or until all of your herb is ground to your ideal consistency.
- You’ll want to continue rotating the grinder until all the herb has fallen through the holes of the top grinder chamber.
- Unscrew the entire top piece to remove it and the lid to get to the plant material that’s fallen into the collection chamber.
- If you’re feeling frisky, unscrew the bottom kief chamber to find the highly-concentrated, fine particles of kief from your herb.
You're All Set To Use a Grinder!
That’s it! Now your bud is ground, and you’re ready to roll. Grinding your bud can be a great idea for many reasons. You can pack your pipes or joints with more consistent and even plant material, leading to a smoother smoke. Certain things like a vaporizer will work way more effectively with ground material versus hand picked buds. With added kief, you can get more intense effects. Finally, some people like to grind up a bunch at once, so they don’t have to fuss with picking and packing as they go.
Keep an Eye Out For New Products and Promotions
- Sign up for our newsletter, The Blazy Bulletin
- Follow us on Instagram @blazysusan
- Follow us on Twitter @blazy_susan
- Like us on Facebook @blazysusan
That’s it for us! As always, if you have any questions about the Blazy Susan Spinning Rolling Tray or anything else Blazy-related, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.